Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tool - The Smoker



A couple of summers ago, I was looking to get into smoking foods, but, when I started pricing smokers, anything of any appreciable size was ridiculously expensive. With that in mind, I built my own.

The frame is standard 2x4 kiln-dried pine, ripped in half on the table saw. The panels are luan, and the racks are cooling racks that I picked up at Wal-Mart for about $3 each. It has a 6-rack capacity, which is enough to smoke about 25-50 lbs of meat at a time.

The two-door design means I don't have to let out heat and smoke to replenish
the wood chips, and the heat source consists of two cheap side burners, one is 750 watts, the other is 1500 watts. Firing them both up on a cool day gets the internal temperature to about 120 degrees.

Clicking the picture at the top the page will take you to a gallery of more pictures of the smoker, and other small projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment