Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tip - Glass Top Stove Care

Ever burn a serious amount of grease splatter right onto the heating element on your glass-top stove? Fun, right? I just went through this while making Chicken Marsala, and I tried a bunch of things to clean it.

The less-successful attempts were:
Soft Scrub (Which is what I normally use to clean the stove)
Soft Scrub with a Scotch-Brite (Which is what I normally use to clean the stove when it's filthy)
A Razor Blade (Not uncommon when the stove has a small spot of burnt-on grease)
A cleaner designed specifically for cleaning burnt-on grease from a glass cooktop (I'm not going to mention the name, because the produce was worthless)
Dish detergent left to sit on the grease for several hours
Some cussing (Didn't work, but helped my mood tremendously)

All of that failed. The only thing that seemed to make a dent was the razor blade. I poked around the kitchen and garage and found two things that worked, with very little effort and fantastic results:

A fresh razor blade.
A Mister Clean Magic Eraser.

That's it - nothing fancy. If you can't figure out how to make that work, put down the razor blade and don't play with stoves anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment